I heard a lot of buzz around this new show on Netflix called '13 Reasons Why' which was about a teenage girl who sent tapes to kids in her high school explaining why she had killed herself. My first impression was that this was going to be teenage drama trash and I had no interest in watching it. I was certain that the critics were bang on with their assessment that this was a terrible show for teens and that it could be a contributing factor to the glamorization and misunderstanding of suicide that I have seen, having worked in a high school with a history of such tragedy. The hub-bub was growing beyond your regular teen drama however, and as people started asking my take on the show, I began considering watching the series so that I could give an honest opinion. Throw in the fact that my wife was also curious and she and I rarely find a show that piques both our interests, and we had enough reasons to watch '13 Reasons' every night after our kids were in bed. So l...
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is often perceived as hyper-organizational behaviours such as closing doors repeatedly or washing hands until the skin is raw. In reality there are various subsets of the OCD condition, one of which is often called scrupulosity in which the primary anxiety has nothing to do with germs or cleanliness rather it is the fear of being guilty of religious or moral failure. In this case the sufferer fears that their efforts, which are often intense and excessive, are still not good enough in the eyes of God or their own moral compass. While a typical sufferer of OCD might become obsessed with germs getting them sick, this particular form of the condition strikes the individual at their core. Their fear is that they are morally or spiritually inadequate and they risk eternal consequence because of it. This condition can be particularly insidious for the following reasons. First, treatment for OCD in the form of Cognitive and Behavioral Therapies is highly ...
This is part II of my critique of the Netflix series '13 Reasons Why'. For Part I click here In today's post I wish to share what positive can be gleaned from this polarizing, dark teen drama. Let's get right into it. What you SHOULD learn from '13 Reasons Why' That 'rape culture' is real and we are bystanders to the objectification and violation of women and girls . Hannah Baker places the blame of her death on a number of her schoolmates who each played their role in her feeling ostracized and rejected, but if you have watched the show you know that there is one true villain in the equation. Hannah is viciously sexually assaulted in what most people would agree is the second most disturbing scene in the series. She is overpowered and abused by someone she knows in the way that most people who imagine sexual violence. Pretty text book really. Except that in this series we also get to see the cumulative effects of those around her who, while not ...
Comments
Post a Comment