Why morals aren't taught in schools anymore

I love education. I love learning. I love learning about how to be a better person.

Which is why I am often left with an uneasy feeling whenever the topic of morals in public schools is brought up. I have been working in the school system for seven years, across various grades, schools, and school divisions and my experience tells me that morality is being taught to our kids more than ever before.
Anyone that says to me that morals are no longer taught in school has obviously not spent time in today's classrooms. I have observed lessons on kindness to others, gratitude, teamwork, self-regulation, respect, delayed gratification, multiculturalism, healthy relationships, etc. You get the point.
I think where most parents who have this concern are coming from is an issue not with the absence of morals but the source of them. Parents assume that since values aren't being taught from a religious point of view then they aren't values at all.
The institution of education, while not looking to replace religion, has, by necessity, integrated pro-social values into everyday learning. Lack of these pro-social values was impeding academic progress. So schools had to act and promote emotional, psychological, and social well-being. Schools that have properly and effectively implemented this approach have seen remarkable changes across numerous metrics, not excluding academics.
Teaching kids to be better people helps them be better students.
Now don't get me wrong, I am one of the loudest voices for educational reform. I think there are plenty of changes that must happen to improve education but I cannot except the accusation that morals are no longer taught in schools.
Morals are taught more now then ever with great success. The label may have changed in order to address a more diverse population but they are there I assure you. I love the idea that kids of different or no religions can sit together and practice showing kindness to each other. When all is said and done, if my children struggle with their geometry and grammar but show unconditional love to others then I will be ecstatic with their education. I teach it at home but having those values reinforced at school is of ultimate importance to me as a parent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Restoring the heart of Te Fiti

What you SHOULD NOT learn from '13 Reasons Why'

Political Psychology Lesson #1 - The Dunning-Kruger Effect