The Power of Terry Fox

Homo sapiens have evolved to bond, trust, and cooperate with one another in a small tribe, no greater than a 100 or so, in which we can intimately know all of the tribe's members. How else are you supposed to trust someone if you don't know them intimately? How else could you convince people you don't know to build a monument for king they have never met?

For most of human history this has been the case. That is until myth and story enabled super-human power. The ability to unite thousands, millions, even billions of strangers towards a cause, a belief system, or framework for morality.

Nations, religions, and economic systems make it not only possible but desirable for one person to sacrifice much (taxation, tithing, going to war, etc.) in order to improve the life of some unknown that lives thousands of kilometers away from them.

Legends, by this definition, are literally superhuman.

Take Terry Fox.

I didn't know him. Few people in Canada or the world knew him. I'm certain that those who did will attest of his exceptional will, determination, and drive. He was a remarkable human being. But now, he is a superhero with powers beyond what any mere mortal could have attained.

I work in the school system and it seems we have a special commemorative day every week. Actually my principal announces one every day. Yesterday was pepperoni pizza day. I observed it.
But my favourite day to commemorate in a school, with maybe Remembrance Day as its only rival, is the Terry Fox run. It gets me every year.

If every organization had a Terry Fox run then this world would be so much better.

I don't think I can say much more other than he is literally, a Super-Human Hero. His power is great and wonderful.

I told my daughter that we were having a Terry Fox run today and she asked if we were going to finish it (meaning his marathon of hope).

Let's do that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Restoring the heart of Te Fiti

What you SHOULD NOT learn from '13 Reasons Why'

Political Psychology Lesson #1 - The Dunning-Kruger Effect